Thursday, February 18, 2010

Is it Spring yet?

I finally dug my car out of its winter coat.

Started the engine-- perfect- it started right up.

Now- where should I go--
I had ordered some groceries from Peapod- but I had to get out and drive.

The parking lot was somewhat cleared but it was drivable-- I decided to go to the Giant.

I walked into the store, browsed- I did not really need anything and yet I wanted something.

Then I saw exactly what I wanted- melons-- a variety summer melons-

I purchased a honeydew and a small watermelon.

The minute I walked in my door I started to slice the melon- the aroma of backyard cookouts and picnics came to mind.

They were perfect- ripe, juicy and fragrant.

I cubed them and put them into a bowl.

I sprinkled a little salt and pepper on them- a strange thing to do- but I have discovered that the flavors are more intense when I do this--

As I bit into a cube of honeydew- my mind wandered to 70 degree temperatures, flowered trees and bushes and birds singing- it was Spring in a Bowl.

I looked out the window and reality set in- but for a brief moment I was transferred to a warmer climate- sort of a Garden of Eden.

Spring will be here soon and I can not wait.

No comments: