Thursday, May 17, 2012

John Harrsons Tomatoes

The late John Harrison had a condo on the 2nd floor across from my building The late Ron La Count lived on the first floor of Johns building.

Ron and I had brown thumbs- we could not grow a thing.
Once- my friend Grace- knowing of my brown thumb bought be a cactus-there was no way I could kill it.

I put it out on the balcony in the sun- two days later it collapsed on itself and died- .

John  Harrison, was a miracle grower- surely he had two green thumbs.
Every summer John would plant tomatoes- and they were some mighty fine tomatoes-

I complimented John how good his tomatoes looked , hoping he would  offer me a couple- but he did not fall for my plan- there must be another way.

One day. I was sitting on Ron patio and we got to talking about how good homegrown tomatoes were.
There is nothing as good as a homegrown tomato sandwich on white bread with mayo, a dash of salt and a smidgen of black pepper.

  Pretty soon all this talk got us hungry-. I suggested that we ask John for a tomato or two- Ron said that John was visiting his son.

Hmmmm- I thought to myself- I have an idea.

Pretty soon Ron had a towel and I had a broom.
Looking around very carefully-I stood below Johns balcony and poked a tomato- it fell off and landed in Rons towel-By the time we were done-we had about 5 tomatos.- Dinner was going to be good tonight.

And it was>

Later on that evening, I went out for a walk and saw John sitting on his balcony listening to the blues- I gave him a wave- he nodded- stood up and said to be-"Those damn squirrels are eating my tomatoes-if I get my hand on them, I am going to make some squirrel and tomato stew."
 I laughed and hollered back at him-" You make the stew, I'll bring the wine".

1 comment:

Susan W. said...

Bob, you are a rascal. Thanks for sharing your stories. When I was condo-hunting in 2000, I looked at a three-bedroom unit at AF which I liked but couldn't really afford. As my real estate agent and I were driving through the complex, we happened across Ron LaCount who offered to show us his two-bedroom unit. A couple months later, a 2-bdrm came on the market and I was ready to make an offer on it. So I have very fond memories of Ron as my first AF neighbor!