Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend and Grilling

Memorial Day weekend is almost upon us, and most people at Finnmark will be down at the pool and probably grilling.

One of my favorite things about Spring and Summer is cooking on the grill.  I am no expert- no Bobby Flay here, and I do not grill anything fancy- burgers, hotdogs, ribs, corn and chicken and that is about it.

  Now I have had my share of restaurant hamburgers and none of them are ever as good as my own.
Ribs- I have had some decent ones,, chicken I prefer my own.

However, hot dogs are a different story.  I can not make my own- and most of the prepackaged ones are just tasteless and lack any substance.
I do  have a certain fondness for hotdogs at a baseball stadium- the cold hotdog at most stadiums go well with the warm beer- but that is a topic for another blog.

The best hotdog I ever had- was a Sabretts- it has a casing that not only offer a nice crunch when bitten into but sometimes it will burst open and then it offers more surface area to slather on mustard, sourkraut and sometimes, chopped tomatoes and liquid cheese- you know what I mean- the stuff in a spray can or even Cheeze Whiz.

Other hotdogs that rate high on my list are Nathans(not the pre-packaged ones you find in the store) or Hebrew National(again not the prepackaged ones- but the ones that Giant use to sell behind the deli counter.
 Sabretts are available through njporkroll.com-be sure to get the ones with the casing.

If you want a decent hotdog and do not want the prepackaged ones- try the Coney Island Hotdogs at Sniders Market- they're on sale the week for $4.99 per pound.
These hotdogs are big, have substance- and are damned good  on the grill or even fried in butter on your stove.

If you are not familiar with Sniders  Market you are missing something very nice-they have a very good deli- check out their whitefish salad and roastbeef- the best.  The produce  has decent prices, and good selection of good beer(including my favorite- Spaten Munich) and wines-Berger Cookies- and if you are not familiar with Berger Cookies- you are in for a treat-and other assorted grocery items not found in your usual Giant or Safeway.

So buy some Coney Islands- fire up the grill and enjoy- and those of you who will be at the pool- enjoy the day- it is suppose to be nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes nothing like a tasty hot dog...plain or fancy they're always good on a Summer day!!